The person in this position will provide daily project engineering support to the chemical operations for North America. Specifically, this role will primarily engage with operation teams and area supervision in support of Safety, Capex, Quality and Production improvements. The primary focus will be on manufacturing operations and the rigorous implementation of industry best practice project management tools to effectively and efficiently implement strategic improvement projects in North America resulting in improved manufacturing performance at the site and support the other facility as needed. The person must demonstrate skills required to simultaneously manage multiple projects to successful outcomes in terms of deliverables, timing, and cost. Position will also support continuous improvement efforts with other site activities. Works within a cross- functional team environment at plant level and engages with Corporate teams, contractors and vendors for process and capital improvements. Work will require lifting to 50 lbs., use of additional PPE for job tasks, and involves active movement around facility including accessing multilevel buildings and climbing ladders.
Key Outcomes / Responsibilities
- Conduct work activities and demonstrate leadership behavior consistent with Buckman 4.0.
- Use process expertise to ensure facility and personal adherence to regulatory, company policies, good manufacturing, and food safety requirements.
- Interface with R&D, Engineering, Operating, and Business resources to develop innovations and coordinate product rollouts in facility.
- Provide technical leadership and support to plant capital projects, including design, capital justification, PSM, and commissioning activities.
- Provide support as required to Operations including process optimization, troubleshooting, root cause analysis and risk analysis.
- Work closely with production management to develop production strategies and systems that improve manufacturing performance.
- Mentoring of production resources – build technical knowledge in proven project management best practices and demonstrate accountable leadership in these areas.
- Drive focus on innovation and continuous improvement in engineering and manufacturing activities.
- Support Process Safety Management (PSM); Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS); Continuous Improvement (CI) and Project Management (PMI) programs.
- Support the plant capital process by scoping projects, assisting with equipment/process design, writing startup and operating procedures, and commissioning/start-up of equipment.
- Conceives and prepares project engineering development proposals and feasibility studies as directed.
- Initiates and maintains extensive vendor list to allow strong bid competition for project equipment.
- Demonstrate sufficient knowledge in electrical, instrumentation, and control systems to seamlessly work with all these manufacturing groups/teams to deliver successful project outcomes.
- Work with design engineering to create detailed bid specifications for expected “value engineering” cost impact.
- Demonstrate skill and experience in developing and holding to detailed project plans and not allowing for project scope creep.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and control project schedules, cost, procurement activities, and quality management, all according to the plan.
- Demonstrated communication skills, keeping all stakeholder groups (management, project sponsors, project teams, and others as identified) updated with data and information (to include change management actions) as required for their responsibilities and roles.
- Demonstrated experience in correctly closing projects by following organizational protocols.
- Visible skill in project portfolio management
- Support all site team activities to achieve the common goal through active participation.
- Maintain excellent understanding of organizational strategic plan and align projects. accordingly
- Willing and capable to lead and/or participate on site teams, as well as corporate teams.
- Facilitate new product/process introductions to the plant.
- Outstanding communication skills and able to interact with Corporate Staff groups, hourly plant personnel, as well as staff.
- Proven track record of managing multiple projects to successful outcomes in terms of deliverables, timing, and budget.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Technical problem-solving capabilities.
- Above average computer skills.
- Fundamental belief and demonstrated behaviors that safety and compliance are two of the most critical aspects to the Senior Project Engineer’s role.
Minimum / Required Qualifications
- 4-year Chemical/Mechanical engineering degree from an accredited institution
- 10+ years of experience in increasingly critical roles in Chemical and/or Specialty Chemicals and in project management with a demonstrated track record of achievement
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong team player with an ability to work closely with all functional teams within the plant
- Self-starter with systematic decision making, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Experience with managing projects with a value of >$3MM
- Six Sigma or similar continuous improvement and statistical analysis experience
- Certified Project Management Institute (PMI) “Project Management Professional”