The Global Engineering Director will be responsible to build and maintain a centralized engineering office within Global Operations. The Global Engineering Director will support the worldwide operations teams to achieve our long-term strategic plans by both creating and ensuring that the departmental strategic plans and tactics are aligned with corporate goals, while managing a multi-disciplined/matrix team of professional engineers. The candidate will support the various projects, programs, and portfolios across the organization in close collaboration with partners in the Global Business Units, Global Operations, and Global R&D. The Director will manage and drive project management tools and systems that enable cross functional teams to successfully execute projects through the conceptual, feasibility, detailed design, execution, and startup & operation phases according to internal processes and in compliance with external standards. The Director shall partner closely with the VP of R&D and counterparts to ensure alignment in the care and maintenance of Operation facilities, product improvement, and new product development. As a key member of the organization, this role will require close partnership between internal team leaders and external partners to deliver on the strategy of achieving industry leadership process efficiency, standardization, human error reduction, problem solving, predictability, and ingraining a cultural mindset of continuous improvement, and world-class process and product quality. Through defined governance and practices, this individual will be accountable for evaluating opportunities, identify Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), partnering with cross functional teams to establishing tracking mechanisms to monitor and report program performance and support the corporate strategy.
Travel: 25% (initially between 2 US Locations to be followed with international travel when safe and a visible business reason justification)
Key Outcomes / Responsibilities
- Conduct work activities and demonstrate leadership behavior consistent with Buckman 4.0.
- Lead the Global & NA activities of engineering staff to successfully drive the development of new products, processes, and modifications for existing products.
- Drive and execute continuous improvement activities and ensure that they are aligned to the operations road map, GIT pipeline, and BU strategies.
- Hire, train and coach a team of professional engineers. Appraise employee performance in accordance with policies and procedures. Encourage and support positive employee relations, open communication, and teamwork within the work group and with other entities, both internal and external.
- Lead and support the implementation and sustainability of a best in class project management culture.
- Reinforce PMI methodology through education, and implementation of best practices to enable harmonized methodologies across the organization inclusive of standardized reporting.
- Own the successful execution of the global operations CAPEX plan.
- Responsible for establishing and/or maintaining tools and processes in accordance with strategic objectives.
- Monitor the effectiveness of Project Management tools and systems and adjust accordingly.
- Collect and analyze project data (e.g. capital expenses, resource loading, etc.) and drive positive change to realize lean improvements according to strategic goals.
- Lead the contractor selection and contract placement activities to ensure that the contract strategy and contracts are aligned with the needs of the business/stakeholders, and that the contractors are adequately resourced to deliver the project requirements.
- Approve and implement the project execution strategy from commencement to operation, including the transition of systems and improvements to other facilities within the global organization.
- Owns the cost estimates and schedules to support the final investment decisions ensuring that these are underpinned by enough engineering design and overall project definition to provide the right level of assurance.
- Establish the project control and reporting processes to meet the needs of the stakeholders.
- Manage all key interfaces with internal and external support resources to the project including HR, finance, legal, procurement and GIT.
- Ensure that the engineering design complies with all regulatory and permitting requirements, the requirements of the process licensors, and the company’s SHE and functional engineering standards.
- Develops and drives standardization of methodologies across the global network.
- Demonstrate skill and experience in developing and holding to detailed project plans and not allowing for project scope creep.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and control project schedules, cost, procurement activities, and quality management, all according to the plan.
- Demonstrated communication skills, keeping all stakeholder groups (management, project sponsors, project teams, and others as identified) updated with data and information (to include change management actions) as required for their responsibilities and roles.
- Demonstrated experience in correctly closing projects by following organizational protocols.
- Visible skill in project portfolio management
- Support all site team activities to achieve the common goal through active participation.
- Maintain excellent understanding of organizational strategic plan and align projects accordingly.
- Willing and capable to lead and/or participate in manufacturing teams, as well as corporate teams.
Minimum / Required Qualifications
- 4-year Chemical Engineering degree from an accredited institution
- 10+ years of experience in chemical development/optimization with operational/engineering knowledge in increasingly critical roles in a chemical manufacturing or production with a demonstrated track record of achievement
- 5+years of hands on experience leading cross functional engineering teams.
- 2-3 Years of international experience/serving in a global role managing technical staff and processes
- Experience with successfully creating and launching new project engineering infrastructure with minimal resources or management involvement.
- Experience in establishing and measuring Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and reporting status and progress
- Strong proficiency with project management practices, tools and methodology including Gantt Charts, MS Project, Power Point, SharePoint, Critical Chain Management, Integrated Portfolio Management and others.
- Knowledge of Project Management Professional (PMP) applications preferred
- Complex problem-solving abilities with focus on accomplishing company goals and objectives in a dynamic business environment
- Must have strong interpersonal skills capable of working with a diverse group of people
- Strong leader with focus and drive to succeed-confidence, passion, results oriented and high energy
- Ability to present thoughts clearly and concisely to a wide variety of stakeholders including but not limited to executive leadership, senior management, and corporate partners
- Self-starter with systematic decision making, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills
- Six Sigma or similar continuous improvement and statistical analysis experience
- Certified Project Management Institute (PMI) “Project Management Professional”
Must Have Successful Experiences
- Engineering background and have experience working for large international Chemical Manufacturer.
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize and accomplish multiple conflicting tasks, make intelligent, timely decisions and solve problems independently.
- Close working relationships with Business Teams and Business Support functions.
- Ability to effectively work under pressure and to meet challenging targets.
- Excellent and demonstrated Microsoft Suite computer skills
- Successful completion and support of engineering projects outside of North America
Highly Desirable Experiences
- An international employment background, having assumed roles with a multiple-country scope.
- Demonstrated high level of competency in TQM, Six Sigma, DOEs and Lean thinking.
- Master's degree in Chemical Engineering or an MBA
- Experience with detailed project management software
- Experience leading an organization through a major implementation to a relevant standard.